



International Committee Meeting - 24/01/2025

Attendance: HT, GD, JY, FJ, AC, DN

Apologies: SS, SE, CR, DM

Absent:

Location: Brooks JCR

Chinese New Year

HT: First of all we should figure out if we are going to do something for Chinese New Year which starts next Wednesday. Last year we had good turnout though we had more time to prepare. I have an idea of doing a calligraphy class and having sweets and origami but we need to rally the people for attendance.

JY: Maybe if we can get a post out first that would be great.

HT: The 29th January is the first date but we could do it after the Pres Election. Are there any other dates we are thinking about?

FJ: I'm unsure if I'll be free in that week.

HT: Is a Saturday a good day?

DN: Some of the Chinatown new year celebrations are on Saturday and people may be going to those.

HT: The first day people may be doing something similar.

FJ: How about Friday night? Are societies doing other things?

HT: It wouldn't be in the bar but in the Brooks' JCR. A daytime may be preferred as well.

JY: If we want higher turnout it may be useful to hold it during the afternoon when people are typically more free.

HT: The second day may work better if people are busy on Friday and Wednesday. I'll get something out today to check with the rest of the committee but provisionally the date will be 30th January. Budget for the event- I'll check last year and we can see how much we can spend on the papers and candies. I'll send AC the link and show you how to reclaim it. I'll check in the conference room that we still have the calligraphy sets. I'll say 4-6pm- just before and after dinner and I'll book the JCR with college.

Lunar New Year

HT: I'm unsure what exactly this agenda point will be and I was hoping DM or CR would be able to speak on it. I'll table the conversation until our next meeting but it is related to the naming of certain formals and the use of the term 'Lunar New Year'.



Global Awards

HT: I've submitted the nomination for this year and we'll see what happens. We got second last year. I'm excited to see what happens! We have the Movember, festivals and the Buddy Scheme.

The Buddy Scheme

HT: People have not shown up to their pairing. We need to do more pair-ups.

FJ: Could you do online pair-ups?

HT: I'm going to look into it when RS returns to Durham.

International Formal

HT: DM has confirmed that this will be the 5th March and subsidised by the JCR. It will be a good bit after Feast which is good because last year it was too close and that posed an issue. Also Global Week (1st-8th March) will be that week as well so it should fit the theme better. I plan on having it as an inter-collegiate event from the get-go. A lot of international students have friends in other colleges and we need them as well. I'm planning to invite the ISA President and hopefully they'll help promote our event.

FJ: Before Christmas we suggested 80 days around the world which was slightly problematic but we could do the Olympic Games and the Olympic Peace. It's difficult to find something where everyone is involved and it is a competition but it is more inclusive and gender balanced.

HT: The World Cup would be more niche, the Olympics would definitely be interesting. How would you implement this theme?

FJ: We could put up bunting and have table decor of the Olympic rings, torches or gold medals.

JY: We could have games outside for people to play.

HT: Our dig cards can also be themed. I might have a template as well we can use from last year. Flagwise- some flags may be more sensitive than others. I did include a Taiwan, China and Hong Kong flag but we can always follow the Olympics on which we include. I will also try to invite BP as he should be able to help us with the formal. Is there anything we want to do in the bar?

FJ: We could have international dances. We would need someone to teach us but it would be fun if we could organise it.

HT: Was that in the dining hall?

FJ: It was in a big, open area.

HT: I'm just thinking the bar may be too crowded and the grass too wet.



DN: Could we make an international quiz?

AC: We could give a gold medal to the winners.

HT: That's a good idea. If the Olympics idea doesn't go through we can still hold the quiz.

JY, can you look into the prize. Are we doing anything in the bar? Karaoke?

JY: Maybe, if we can make it relevant.

FJ: I've been on a few karaoke trips where people sing songs in their national languages and it's lovely.

HT: I'll invite KT to the next meeting as well as she's organised an international music event in the past. For now this is a good direction. I'm not stopping other suggestions though if anyone has any ideas.

Festivals Around the World

HT: I want to meet our goal of doing two online festivals per term. I would like everyone to get involved as well.

AC: Carnival is the 3rd-4th March.

HT: We could post it on the 3rd March but if it could be made by the 28th February.

AC: I have no skill at graphic design but I can try.

HT: I'm also going to work on my own personal project on heritage though there's no specific date for it.

Mother Language Day and This Term

JY: It wouldn't take much effort but if you could offer a discount or some award for answering questions in your mother tongue.

FJ: I would like to hold a Carnival bar crawl which would be an easy event to hold and not too much planning but we could dress up a little bit in collaboration with the post.

HT: As long as it doesn't contradict that would be easy to organise.

FJ: We could do it on Friday as well because the date depends on the region when they celebrate it. The 28th February would work.

HT: We'll create posts to advertise both of those events. Mother Language Day is the 21st of February. The movie night: should we save it for next term?

JY: End of this term if next has exams.

FJ: If the weather is nice, people won't stay in to watch a movie.

HT: We have a gap in our calendar after our Chinese New Year event if we want to hold an event between then and Carnival.



FJ: We could do it on a Thursday night- 20th February.

HT: That gives us time to organise it. For Reels we could ask for help from Publicity Comm just to vary the content we publish. I will ask for availability on the groupchat now and make a post for the event. Thank you for coming.

Meeting adjourned.