



International Committee Meeting - 05/12/2024

Attendance: HT, CR, AC, GD, JY, DL, AL, SE

Apologies:

Absent:

Location: Bailey JCR

Hanukkah Post

HT: Does anyone want to make the Hanukkah post by the 21st December?

GD: I'm happy to do it.

Updates on the Study Buddy Scheme w/ Cuth's Dev

HT: Updates on the Study Buddy scheme- we had a hard time pairing the one home student and one international because of low home student signup but we assigned the rest by subject. We are still working on that

AL: Could you possibly make some trios?

HT: We have made two trios so far.

Christmas Market Ideas

HT: Does anyone have any ideas for next thursday?

FJ: Have some creative stations. Even just paper crafting. We could do some cookie decoration. It would be quite Christmasey and if we play music in the background which people can add to and add music from their own cultures. Can we serve mulled wine?

DM: Alcohol would have to go through the bar but we're good to serve food as long as we have the allergens. For this to be a global Christmas market we will need quite a few stalls and volunteers.

Ana: We could put a post out on the story to advertise for people to get involved, so they could have their own stall.

DM: I like the idea of getting international students who are not necessarily on the committee. What are we thinking about the timeline?

HT: 2-5 on Thursday.

DM: I think that's lovely. I think any form would have to be in for Tuesday. Ideally the 9th or 10th. So that we can pass the allergen information to SC in time.

HT: AC would you like to make the form for this?

AC: Sure.



FJ: How are you about reselling food?

DM: That's absolutely fine and you, as a committee, will be able to reclaim that.

HT: Can you please fill in the availability poll so we have an idea of how many people will be available on the day.

FJ: We can have some Christmas card decorations. I've just seen an easy design which I'll send in the link to.

HT: If Outreach handles the donations and some of the publicity.

CR: I'll speak to EB about that. Your only issue is that their publicity only comes out the day before and you need to get something out before that.

HT: Is anyone happy to create a post advertising the market and then information about the form?

GD: I'll do it.

HT: Are people happy to get some supplies?

SE: I normally get charity shop books for the paper stars and you can get blank cards at the works.

FJ: I can get some icing and cookies for the cookie decorations. For the music we can do an open Spotify music playlist.

AP: I'll be happy to check that.

HT: JY can you create a form to gauge interest in that?

JY: Of course.

DM: I'm able to do the risk assessment for the event.

FJ: Can we have a dress code? Ugly/Christmas Sweaters?

DM: I like that.

International Formal

HT: Who will be handling the digs cards and things like that?

DM: The formal manager so be sure to invite BP to the next InternationalComm meeting to avoid any miscommunication on responsibilities. You can still design and order them but BP will put them out. When is the formal?

HT: It's supposed to be during Global Week.

FJ: What is Global Week?

DM: Global Week celebrates the student populus and international outreach. This wouldn't actually be a Global Week event but there's something called the Global Awards which celebrates volunteers who help the international community.



HT: The deadline for nomination is 20 December. It's not something to worry about but would be nice to get that recognition.

DM: There is in theory a competition aspect but we are more focused on the students. The formal date may change because the 26th is not during Global Week. I'll talk with college and see because Feast is on the 27th February. It may be reorganised for the week after.

HT: Can I have some preliminary ideas on decorations?

CR: Surely, the world flags.

SE: What if we do something with 'Around the World in 80 Days'?

DM: We could have a properly themed formal.

FJ: Is it a colonialist novel though?

SE: I've just googled it with 'problematic'.

CR: Same and it's imperialist.

DM: We'll review ideas next term.

HT: I'll ask EDI for money as well for decorations. Also if we can think of some post-formal events- I have a few ideas but do you have any ideas?

JY: We could do something with the idea of travel.

FJ: I like the music aspect as a way to interact with other cultures. International dances? Something with different pop-cultures.

HT: I have something in mind. We could do something with KT (PoC Rep) and Global Beats. Maybe karaoke would be a good way to engage with the music. In terms of your idea JY what are you thinking?

JY: I'll spend some more time thinking about it.

HT: I'll highly recommend that you sign up for the formal. It's a better menu than your usual formal and it's going to be a great night.

Other plans for next term

HT: Obviously we will be doing the festivals from around the world but I was watching 'The Last Dance' and thought about how we can expand to everyday culture.

JY: What if we used reels as well showcasing cultural differences?

HT: I think that could work. I'm still planning on International movie night next term which will be 'Spirited Away'. Please let me know if you have any ideas for festivals next term and I want to take this chance to thank everyone. This has been really productive as a term and I feel really like a team. So thank you everyone.

Meeting adjourned.