



# Outreach Committee Meeting - 24/10/2024

Attendance: EB, CR, RW, LG, LS, GB, GR, DM

Apologies: OY

Absent:

Location: Conference Room

## Action Log

Who	What	By When
EB	Create a poll in the Outreach committee group chat to decide which charity will be the focus of 12 Days.	27.10.2024
All	Consider role preference for EB then to assign.	27.10.2024
LG	Organise, with Cuth's Baking Soc, a bake sale for Movember.	27.10.2024
SB	Speak with Cuth's Netball about holding a charity match in support of Breast Cancer Awareness	27.10.2024
EB	Share @durham_for_refugees Syrian dinner event on the Outreach account	Before 03.11.2024
EB & Outreach Publicity Officer	Create a post advertising a form in the bio of the instagram which would allow students to inform Outreach of their personal fundraising efforts.	05.11.2024
All	Fill in the form in the group chat for the 'Meet the Committee' posts.	27.10.2024

## Welcome and Introductions



## **Structure of Outreach this year**

EB: Our big aim for the end of this term is the 12 Days of Outreach which is a massive event where we run an event every day for 12 days for one charity. For Epiphany, I would like to hold Cuth's Take Me Out which didn't happen last year but to my understanding has been massively successful in years past. Easter term- I want to get the 24 hour musical up and running again in collaboration with 12 South Theatre which is held post exams. I think there's also room for another big event at some point within the year and we will obviously be holding smaller scale events like litter picking, clothes drives, etc. Also, we will help choose charities for the big events like the balls. At the moment I would like us to choose what charity we are supporting for 12 Days. In the past it's been a lot of local charities and tonight I'll put out a poll so we can have that sorted and we can begin to organise the events.

## **Committee Roles**

EB: Roles will give you a specific aim within Outreach but that shouldn't limit you. The roles available are Fundraising Rep, Volunteering Rep, Outreach Publicity Officer, Events Manager, Project Coordinator and Outreach Committee member. I'll put something on the groupchat as the roles may be changing tonight in the JCR meeting. Please let me know if you have a preference for any of the roles available.

## **Michaelmas Events**

EB: I would like to hold pub quizzes at Brooks' Bar regularly to build an audience and I would like to get a date for that in the next few weeks which I know will be during Movember. Similarly, I would like to organise a litter pick maybe at the beach and we can use our budget to cover the cost of travel. I also had an idea to twin the toilet in Bailey Bar, the money from which goes towards hygiene education in countries where that information is largely inaccessible. We would have to raise £60 to twin the toilet and I've messaged the bar about that. Does anyone have any ideas for the coming weeks also looking towards Movember?

LG: I can reach out to Baking Soc about holding a bake sale.

EB: Absolutely and collaborations with sports and societies will be huge. I've spoken to the Welfare Campaigns Manager and I think we will be helping Welfare Campaigns with their fundraising events surrounding Movember.

DM: If you're looking to do something soon you have Breast Cancer Awareness during October. We tried to do something to support it in Campaigns last year but couldn't find the time with Movember. There's a clear difference between Campaigns and Outreach and we can utilise that to support a breadth of charities.



SB: I think that would be great in collaboration with netball if we held a charity match.

RW: Durham for Refugees holds a Syrian dinner all-you-can-eat which is happening next Sunday and runs quite regularly which would be good to share on the Outreach instagram. The tickets are £15 and it's great food.

EB: I think sharing posts about things like that is important. I also want Outreach this year to promote individual students' fundraising efforts to help them get more exposure so we could make a post on how they could let us know and maybe create a form.

## **12 Days of Outreach**

EB: I was looking at dates for 12 Days and was thinking about the 2nd-13th December.

DM: That would then encompass Michaelmas Ball which is a great event to have in the middle as it allows us to recognise the fundraising aspect of our events which in the past has been overlooked. It would also mean we would have a closer connection with the charity and you could think about inviting them to speak as SCSCFS did at a formal last year. I would also plan ents for after the Christmas formals on the 9th, 10th and 11th.

EB: The ents surrounding those are great fundraisers and that covers 4 nights out of 12.

RW: I would say a lot of people end up going to the bar on the last night of term so we should be able to raise a lot of money through making sure we hold a big event that night.

DM: We can also get a drink with the bar where 20p goes to the charity which is a good amount.

EB: Panto is also around that time (the 3 days before the formals) so we will be able to fundraise through that. Panto are doing a panto drink as well which we can use to support the charity for 12 Days. As well with Panto, in the past they had a thing where you could order a paper rose/candy cane to give to someone which we could run a delivery service for.

RW: What is the panto this year?

EB: Little Mermaid- the roses were related to Beauty and the Beast and NC (president of 12 South) were thinking of an alternative which is related to this year's theme but the rose is still quite a good one and I would like to move forward with that. That's 7 nights covered for us so we only need to think of 6ish events that we need on top of that. Does anyone have any ideas?

RW: If we do a bake sale I'd be happy to be involved.

EB: If we get allergens' lists we should be able to do that.

SB: When I have bake sales at home you just need to fill out a form that details what's in the food.

DM: Which would just need to be approved by Sue Cole.



EB: On the first day of Outreach during COVID they did an online photo competition which helped get people involved straight away which I do think is the best way to kick things off.

DM: The market will help with providing prizes if they know it's for a good cause. You have a budget of £150. College will also give you donations; last year they gave Outreach £300.

EB: The budget can be used as an incentive for fundraising and volunteering which is something to keep in mind.

SB: We should keep in mind the difference in how people react to male and female sports and attendance. So if we hold a women's sports event we need to make sure we place a lot of publicity onto it.

GB: We could also hold karaoke after one of the formals.

EB: Things like karaoke and silent discos work really well.

RW: We've also had Big Band in the past.

EB: The last day of term last year was a Cuth's Live we could charge for entry.

CR: I would steer away from limiting the number of people in Cuth's bar on the last night because it will upset people who have to pay to get in. You'll have a large number there anyways so you won't need an event necessarily.

RW: We could have a raffle on that night.

CR: You could be sitting at a table as people enter the bar with the raffle prizes and then a few people go around with the square and tickets.

EB: I'm happy to have a raffle last night.

DM: With Michaelmas Ball included you will have a donation of at least £300 incorporated into ticket prices.

### **Blood Drive and Other Events**

EB: LG had a great idea about holding a blood drive which is brilliant and branding it as a 'Bleed Green' event which could be a daytime event. LS you had an idea surrounding the shoebox appeal?

LS: The shoebox appeal would've been great to work with but the deadline for it would be 11th November.

EB: Something along those lines like a food drive would be brilliant to hold. We'll think about the best way to run that and maybe include a competition element between Bailey and Parson's.

DM: We also have an extortionate amount of stash that hasn't been picked up so we could think about donating those clothes to others. We could, as a JCR, hold a clothes drive and we could look at that with the Environment Committee.



## **Instagram Post**

EB: I would like to do a 'Meet the Committee' post that I want to get out sometime next week as I'm not the only one doing all this and you guys should be recognised for your work. I'll put a form on the group chat if you can fill that out please.

*Meeting adjourned.*