



International Committee Meeting - 23/10/2024

Attendance: AC, JY, GD, DL, HT, SS, DM, CR

Apologies: SE, FJ

Absent: AM

Location: Brooks' JCR

Action Log

Who	What	By When
All	Research festivals that International Comm can run campaigns around.	The next meeting
SS	Provide DM with a budget for the Diwali Henna Event	25.10.2024
HT	Book Brooks' Bar for a day event on 30.10.2024	25.10.2024
SS	Contact someone can use henna for the event.	27.10.2024
HT	Liaise with other colleges to encourage them to come along and promote the Henna Event.	29.10.2024
All	Send details for International Comm intro posts- including favourite ethnic cuisine	27.10.2024

Committee Member Introductions

HT: Every year we have introduction posts for our committee so you will see on the agenda a POA to send your details. For the past two years it's been the same but I'm asking if anyone has anything else?

GD: Favourite cuisine or ethnic dish?

HT: Brilliant we'll do that!

SS: Make sure to check the group chat for the form.

Role distribution



HT: So we asked when you applied which role you would like and no one chose publicity. We also need someone to be a liaison officer to work with other colleges and the ISA. I've asked the members who haven't made it but they haven't replied yet. Does anyone have an interest in working on canva?

SS: It's max one or two posts every week and it doesn't take a lot of time. I did it last year and it was a lot of fun.

GD: I'm happy to but I'm not the most tech savvy.

DM: We do have three members who are not here right now who are not here right now.

HT: FJ has made it clear that her interest is in campaigns and events.

CR: We could make it so that whoever leads the events has to lead the publicity at that time as well.

Campaigns for the year

HT: You may have seen on the @cuthsinternational instagram the educational campaigns for different international events. Ideally if we can have 3 campaigns per term. SS and I will search for festivals but I think it would be nice if you as a committee can come up with some of the festivals towards the end of 2024. If you have troubles with canva please let me know and we'll share the premium JCR account.

DM: If you are running a campaign check on canva for materials and it will make your life easier. Are there any campaigns you'd like to run?

GD: I love the holidays but I'd like to personalise it a lot more. Include our own photos and have a slide with our faces.

AC: I'd like to run Carnival in late February.

JY: World Language Day I'd like to run an event. Maybe you test your language skills and can win a discounted drink.

Diwali

HT: Diwali is a week away.

SS: I will text the Hatfield Rep today and text others on the Bailey to see if anyone is doing anything.

DM: What would you want to hold?

SS: A henna night would be really cute. My mum is sending some and I would be down to share it. It's on the 30th. I won't be here on Diwali as I'm in Edinburgh but I know someone who would be of help. I'll work on a budget for you by tonight.

HT: We have a £400 budget for the entire year.

SS: I think we can book out Brooks' bar.

HT: The Halloween formal is on the 30th.



DM: If you want it on the 30th we should ask now because they may be unable to open both nights that week. Would you like the bar open?

SS: I think having the space is open as a lot of people refrain from drinking anyways.

DM: If the society in the SU is doing something we could lead into that. HT you would just need to fill in the form.

SS: We can keep it as an open event for all colleges and ask other international reps to repost and share the event.

DM: It would be an idea to get SB involved so that you can have some music as well.

SS: Can we hold it during the day as well so that people can still attend the formal. The other thing is we would need to maybe hire someone to do Henna.

CR: Do you know anybody who would be able to?

SS: I know someone who would be able to do it for £20 an hour.

Study Buddy Scheme and Panel Discussion

HT: In collaboration with the Dev Officer, we run the Study Buddy Scheme where we pair a home student and international student. We're doing it more on the academic side where both people still get to learn about each other's cultures. I'm emailing RS tonight and I encourage you to get involved yourself. As part of the committee there's no harm in being involved and promoting it. Even if you trial it and figure out how we can improve. We are aiming for early to mid November for the scheme to be set up. Also I'm planning to have a panel discussion about PoC's experiences in Durham and in Cuth's. SS and I have talked about how we want to hold more events in Brooks so we are planning to use the TPA. I was on a panel at Castle last year and I think it's important to talk about within our community. If you're interested, drop me a message and I'll invite some people from ISA.

SS: I think people don't have time to go and just listen so we need to give them a reason to come. Maybe we could have an icebreaker thing.

GD: Have everyone prepared questions?

JY: Audience interaction in the middle.

SS: Maybe inviting someone who people want to listen to.

DM: You could have a guest speaker.

CR: How big would you have your panel be?

HT: 4 but having it be a more open panel discussion.

SS: I think we should wait until next term so we can get a guest speaker.

DM: There is a lack of academic events that we run but there's a reason we lack that. Be careful about how you sell those events and give yourself time so you can organise it to the scale it should be. Be careful with it.



International Formal

HT: We have International Formal in February during Global Week and I would say do come to that. As a committee we'll set up decorations and the dig cards.

DM: It's the 26th of February this year. When we run and intersect events with college they tend to give us more budget so they may be able to help with something you'd like to run. The EDI committee also has a budget who will be able to help fund your events.

International Movies Night and other events

HT: We wanted to hold this last year but it didn't end up happening with licensing issues. Last year doing inter-collegiate events ended up being very successful as well. Cuth's only events don't get a massive turnout.

DM: Judge that as the year comes it could surprise you!

CR: I think as well a lot of these events appeal massively to home students so it should be able to attract more people through that.

HT: I would like to run something for international students who stay over the holidays but that may not be a committee member running that if we are all heading home. We used to have a bar crawl which was inter-collegiate.

DL: It could be a Bailey bar crawl.

SS: It could be held at any time of year as well.

International Freshers

HT: The Freshers' Week Task Force have just discussed questions that freps couldn't answer from international freshers this year. Maybe we should develop some form of training.

CR: If we could create a document of FAQs so that it could help freps be able to help international students and streamline that process.

SS: BRPs have just gone digital and people are struggling. We could create a tutorial on how to do it even for second years.

JCR Meetings

HT: As method III officers you have the responsibility to go to JCR meetings. Having been in this committee for the last two years people are scared of the JCR meetings but I would say that we are trying to break down some of that fear. It can be scary but there will be people and you can always sit with me. If you can't make it please send apologies to vice-president@cuths.com.



Publicity Officer

SS: Are we sure that no one would like to be in charge of the publicity?

GD: I'll do it.

GD elected as International Publicity Manager

Meeting Adjourned