



Welfare Committee Meeting - 14/08/22

Attendance: LM (Senior Welfare), KM (President), NH (POC Rep), SM (WCS Rep), EM (Local Students' Rep), MS (Welfare Officer), CW (Campaigns Manager), LJ (LGBTQ+ Rep), DM (Male Welfare), SL (International Rep), SS (SwD Rep)

Apologies: MP (Female Welfare), AB (VP)

Absent:

Location: Zoom

Introductions

Welfare and Personal Goals

LM: What do you think we could do better and where do you want welfare to go? Throw ideas!

NH: Move it away from providing mental health support and more towards signposting and support that we can give without endangering student wellbeing.

MS: Increasing physical presence of welfare officers. Also the problem with refounders welfare room and where it is- need a code for refounders so not accessible for everyone especially livers outs.

LM: We're currently working this out with college and looking for a new place, so this is currently in the works!

EM: In regard to the code thing, as a liver out, it's been difficult to get into buildings like the Brooks area as I've not the codes.

KM: Something I've brought up with college is getting the House 8 building and refounders building on a campus card scanner rather than key code, and having it so it locks after a certain time and is only accessible to residents after that time.

LM: Any others?

DM: Main thing I want to do is make welfare proactive rather than reactive. I want to make sure everything works in a facility where the communities committee is happy with and not waiting for things to get



bad. I want to make things available for people to use so they don't get into the crisis in the first place, so not leaving it to get bad

LM: Welfare needs damage control!

KM gets brutally attacked by multiple wasps.

LJ: I think we should work on integrating PG and Mature students onto the Communities Committee so we can provide that perspective into the discussions as what we're doing is good for them. I'll be useful to do something like that and have more contact with PG and Mature students. As a Welfare Committee, supposed to consider their welfare too.

KM: I think it might be a good idea depending on if we can get someone like a member of PGM Comm to join welfare or invite to attend some meetings, in the same way we decided to add the PGM President to communities committee.

LM: Does PGM welfare sit on the welfare committee?

KM: No.

NH: Make it someone from PGM comm as it'll be good to have that representation.

KM: With PGM comm, it's mostly PHD students who are busy, so they might not make every meeting, so let's see about just one rep at least, we'll flesh that idea out later.

LM: Agree

EM: We need more communication with local livers out. During freshers, we were missed off the list for the workshops and weren't getting updates when we should've.

NH: When we're giving advice on options, make sure we're fully informed on them. Making sure we let people know the weight of their actions at the time, make sure they fully understand the limitations of something so they make the right decision. heavily informed on signposting

LM: There's been a nightmare with university services, everything is taking a while. Anything else?



KM: With the welfare survey, what time of the year did we put it out last year?

LM: It was meant to be easter, but it didn't get put out for a while, and only got a few responses. Maybe termly this year?

KM: Not termly, it will kill off engagement, I want to do it half way through the year. Then there's still time to change things that aren't working. review and reassess. JCR survey got good engagement so let's offer prizes.

Purpose of the Committee

KM: What I want to get from you is what you think you are here for. As welfare officers and campaigns manager, what do you think you're here for, what is your role on the committee?

CW: As a manager, it is important to be in the loop so you know welfare issues in college so we can tailor campaigns to them and have a general awareness of them.

MS: Make sure we have communication between welfare officers and make sure campaigns are relevant, helping out, and being an extra pair of hands to help campaigns.

DM leaves call due to bad connection

KM: Communities rep, what is your role on the committee?

NH: Keep welfare accountable and make sure campaigns are as inclusive and accessible as possible. The other part of my role is we're a unique form of support within cuths which is very necessary. Everyone in communities comm provides a unique perspective on everything welfare and JCR is doing and it's especially necessary to have that in welfare.

LJ: The role helps us to have a more active presence in the student community. We're not just there to be a rep, that doesn't accomplish anything. Must ensure that everything we do remains inclusive and everyone is considered when decisions are made.

KM: You've got the gist of the importance of the committee in that welfare is probably the most sensitive areas the JCR deals with as it has a tangible impact on students. It is important that we have all perspectives



covered. Taking accountability of the action of the general welfare that the JCR provides, and the committee were created for this reason, for accountability and transparency. When we mention campaigns must ensure there's a distinction between campaigns committee meetings and welfare committee meetings. Forum here for identifying areas the JCR hasn't covered before and highlighting this. campaigns- your role includes being an active participant of the committee. You are on the committee as a member. Take up your role in that committee, participate and help out. Welfare committee is directional and campaigns are operational when it comes to campaigns. Any questions on the function of the committee or their understanding?

EM: Taking accountability- general actions of what happens in college?

KM: Making sure everything welfare covers is accessible and inclusive and making sure we provide enough of them. Make sure we are constantly reevaluating, how do we boost engagement? What resources can we be providing? This is a forum to discuss supplies, budgeting, etc. Is it in the right way? Beneficial for every student? This is an umbrella committee for all actions of Cuth's Welfare. Culture of Cuth's welfare is the reason for the start of the committee as it hadn't been so proactive. The campaigns were not focused on the things that happen that impact your welfare. Changing the culture to tackle things that we can change because we're not here to be a councillor, as highlighted in standing orders. As a JCR, we need to know our boundaries with welfare and know what we can do and what we don't go near it. Welfare is very sensitive, very important and has real impact.

LM: That all okay? Fab, moving on!

Training

LM: Who's coming to what training session? Is it better to do this in prep week when we're all in Durham? 6th, 8th, in person is 13th. Will last two hours.

KM: Timetable is quite tight, what days are people back in Durham for freshers week?

MS: 18th/17th



KM: Could do the day before prep week begins, but if not, the timetable is tight so might not be possible.

LM: Will run as many sessions as we need- let me know when you intend to go to which! Any questions about training? Just there so you're able to hold drop ins. Will disrupt resources on facebook so you can reference it throughout the year.

Freshers Week

LM: Who intends to hold drop ins on freshers week and how many? Welfare officers have four hours, communities reps- standing order says maximum two but if you can do at least one.

NH: Need to schedule now?

LM: Ah yes, quite soon! Will get proper timings when people know more and we know more about timetable. Just for now, who intends to hold them and how many?

NH: Maybe 2 one hour ones?

EM: How do drop ins work? In person or online?

LM: In person in the refounders welfare room, but generally have zoom on as well if people want to drop in. Tends to work better if it's in person and you have your laptop on.

Discussion of length of drop ins for communities reps

LM: Communities Reps will do two hours then, welfare officers four hours. will have set times, and then every week there will be instagram animation saying what the times are for that week and if there's any changes that have been made. Moving on, what do you guys want to see from Freshers week?

EM: More of a question, livers out had to opt in, rather than opting out like livers in, why was that?

KM: Not sure actually, probably for catering numbers



EM: Became a problem, as we weren't on the list and got told it's because we didn't opt in, even though we did. Weren't on any list to workshops too,

KM: Will raise with college as it's more of a college issue as they are on formals. FYI, formals are in the first week of time, not freshers week.

NH: Is there going to be a sober table?

KM: No

NH: Is there an EDI before start of term?

KM: Will raise

LJ: Last year, freshers formal had cards on table on how to dress and the language was very gendered, would be good if that didn't happen again.

KM: This has been raised, told JW to run what he's putting out by me first.

NH: Freshers having sober events at night is really important, especially with the new space at Parsons and non-bar space. It is important that we develop those in a way that they are just as fun as engaging. Needs to be lots of visibility for welfare and reps during fresher week events, especially at night.

LM: I agree, currently have a welfare corner- mainly near drinking events though. We are working towards being more visible. On visibility, in the motions of doing a poster that freshers will get, officers names and QR codes to handbooks and sexual health supplies. Would you want a minority rep version of that?

NH: Would be good to have, if you have an issue, you don't have to jump between a million pages, making everything as available as possible is the best option.

LM: Let me know if you want two versions of the poster with the minority reps on the second side. Anything else?

NH: Way to contact us if freshers need us? If we're not on the site?

KM: Not particularly, as no officer is meant to be available 24/7.



NH: Not an emergency thing, but if someone is at brooks and wants to speak to a rep that night but they are at a different location, how would they get in touch?

KM: Depending on what the situation is, could ask a frep to find out where they are and then be escorted over. but realistically, if it's outside drop in hours and is in an emergency context, that's not something you guys are available for 24/7.

LM: Welfare officers, we have a welfare phone for emergencies, only welfare officers have this. This will be on instagram, will advertise it more this year, anyone can ring it and a welfare officer will answer. It's available from 8am-3am. Anything else about freshers? How can we help?

MS: What are boundaries when it comes to getting college involved? Are there clear guidelines of when to get college involved?

KM: Action plan, step by step procedure being made. LM will deliver a talk about scenarios and what to do and who to go to and stuff.

LM: At what point does a welfare issue need to be passed on? (from MS, zoom connection was bad). In response, if they are a danger to themselves or others, or they've asked to be passed on to college. Moving on?

SM: Will there be pronoun badges?

LM: Yes. Okay, freshers pack. Two condoms and two lube sachets? Yes or no.

Nods of Agreement

LM: Okay brilliant. Durex again, also nightline key rings, leaflets, etc. Let me know if you want others there. Another thing, will have posters that will be everywhere, safe lit night routes, where to get from all the bars and clubs back to Cuth's. Me and AB are going to walk to colleges and make videos.

Consent workshops

LM: Want to change them, but have to go through college and CH. Making them more inclusive following my ideas in my manifesto but I might not be the right person to do it, so let me know if there's anything



you want to add into it. Either now or later. Any thoughts on consent workshops?

NH: Talked a lot about including LGBTQ+ , more inclusive language, moving away from gender and sex based language. Important to be aware you could be addressing people who are victim of sexual assault, so making sure your signposting is clear and evident in workshops, especially at start and end, so if someone needs to speak someone they know the option. Make sure they are fully aware of options in university

LM: Going to make it in the new lecture hall in Brooks, because Bailey bar isn't the best place to do it- not a great place to leave. I will signpost that offices are there too. Anything else? Will share my google drive about the workshops, script, powerpoint, etc. Tell me what you want changing and then I'll send that to LH.

KM: If everyone could make comments on doc and give an overall statement of areas they think are better for improvement and what's okay to put in. Deadline for a week?

LM: Yes as I need to get things to college. I'll share everything, so please get it done by next Sunday.

AP: Look at Doc and make comments by Sunday.

LM: Facilitating workshop, you can like a post on facebook if you want to, and you'll get training to facilitate. Support available and how to do it through uni.

MS: Added to the agenda the point of having the option to have your consent workshop with someone of a specific gender in case you feel uncomfortable with having someone of a specific gender talking about consent and issues around that.

KM: Read your point and think it is a good idea, but not sure if we will be able to do this through an email- we can put it on the freshers page on instagram, and plug it hard the week before.

LM: Try advertising it early so there can be appropriate accommodation

NH: Think it would be good if its easy to facilitate and do it as an option. Just be conscious that we're using non-discriminatory language, like sex-based workshops. If you'd like a woman or man to do it, let us know



what type of thing you'd prefer. I think that would be fine, no issues with me. As long as it's easy enough to facilitate

KM: I think it is easy to facilitate

LM: Would just be two more for us to run to be honest, and can do it last minute. They do have to do it though, as we are ticking off and if you haven't done it, you won't be allowed access to the bar. Anything else?

LJ: As mentioned before, signposting of university resources might be good to say things like 'these services are not just available if in an instant of something that has happened at university, it's just for you to support you, no matter the specific context of your situation.'

LM: Agree, definitely not just applicable as a durham student, there when you need them. Anything else about this?

Meet the Officers Campaign

LM: People don't know who welfare officers are or what we do, so going to a campaign, this will explain what it is we can deal with and what we can do. Minority reps, do you want one of them on the Cuth's welfare instagram as well?

KM: Good to do it on both, there is one coming up about communities comm, intros and purpose of the committee. Making it clear to people your role. Would be good one to have one that's more welfare focused though.

NH: Do we have a comm comm account?

KM: No

NH: Is that something we look towards?

KM: Brought up last year, not sure what conclusion landed or why, people decided it would be better to have their own, but can reevaluate and discuss again.

LM: With welfare instagram, if you want anything posting, send it to me and I can post it, have a big following but working on increasing engagement.



Drop-ins

LM: Who intends to hold them in Michaelmas term?

Collective Nod

KM: Michaelmas is trial period, can reevaluate in second term.

LM: Not a lot of engagement, so bring your laptop and just be there. Better to be there than not. We can refine them if timings don't work or other options don't work. Happy to do two hours per week?

KM: We want to avoid, with having more drop ins, the tendency to make it look like welfare is constantly cancelling as there is more of you- bare in mind.

NH: When do we have to decide the times?

LM: Give me your timings once you've got your timetable, will ask for the back end of freshers week, just who intends to hold them.

SS: structure of timings- what kind of slots are allowed? Would prefer four 30 minute slots, rather than a big two blocks.

LM: You could do it, but I'm not too sure. Might be easier to do longer, logistically easier to do it in hours, like if you're in a drop in and someone comes at the end, if that makes sense. Keen to keep it hourly, more uniformed and structured if that's okay?

SS: That's fine

EM: Happy to do at least an hour, but will be back end of freshers as I need my timetable.

LM: Just getting interest, don't need hours now. Flexible with drop ins- if you do need to cancel, you're a volunteer, life happens, just try not to. With keys- might be a case of a padlock system, fleshing it out with college. anything else?

Supplies

LM: No more clearblue, too expensive. MP gave options, so if everyone can go through that, then we can decide what to buy.

AP: go through supplies and share thoughts.



KM: How many clear blues did we buy last year?

LM: Not sure

KM: Rough estimation for numbers?

LM: Quite a lot, going through them like wildfire. Not sure on exact numbers. Probably £70-80 a week on supplies, mainly clear blue.

EM: Sorry if you've got this, but night caps for drinks, anti spiking stickers, do you still have them? If not, would be a good idea.

LM: We've got them in Bailey Bar, the bar buys them, but will liaison with new stewards to get them sorted in both bars.

KM: Brought a load and did sign up form nearly 100 night caps, first come first serve, sign up gone immediately and nobody came to collect.

LM: Loads left in bailey bar, had them and nobody used them.

KM: Raised with college, fleshed out at bar comm on policy on advertisement and use of anti spiking stuff the bar has. Can feedback on that at a later date.

LM: Disruption issues, pigeon holes are gone now. how we distribute supplies will have to change?

NH: Why?

KM: In reception now.

NH: Why can't we use them?

KM: Have to ask reception for it now so not as subtle.

LM: We're changing packaging to make it more subtle- but if there are any other ideas, please fire them. We don't do baskets outside welfare room like other colleges but i don't really like that idea as people just take the mick.

KM: They didn't take the mick when they were in the JCR, went at a good rate. I think it's a good idea, i'd probably put them in each JCR. Drop ins for welfare officers also need to be advertised as a chance to collect any welfare supplies.

LM: Happy for envelopes and baskets?



general agreement

KM: To encourage people to order sexual health supplies initially, and considering the lack of pigeon holes, in Nichealmas term, we buy one golden condom and put it in an envelope- campaign of 'find the golden condom' and you get a free michealmas ball ticket. Good way to encourage people to collect the supplies, use them and generally encourage safe sex.

EM: How would that stop people from raking them mick and taking them all?

LM: Do it if people ordered them, so they pick it up and then won't take the mick

EM: Also from an LGBTQ+ stand, some people might not need to use condoms.

SM: Like if she's a lesbian, she'll need a dental dam.

KM: Can do a golden dental dam too! One golden sexual health supply, could be in for the chance of winning. Could be lube, inclusive.

LM: Just going to be a sticker or something on it, so can be any sexual supply.

SS: What about being anonymous ?

KM: Won't be advertised publicity, if you've won, contacted cuths.pres and we will get your ticket.

LM: If they wanted to, they could be tagged but obviously not going to make people do it. Everyone happy with that?

Welfare Policy

LM: Currently up for review with trustees.

KM: Welfare policy up on website, haven't been reviewed in two years, so it is in cycle to be reviewed. Welfare committee is responsible for the rewriting of the policy. Our policies are our legal guiding documents as a charity, so it's really important that we think really hard on it. appreciate if everyone could look at it before our next meetings, see what's missing



from it and let me know. Thoughts, comments, areas of improvement! In Michaelmas, we will rewrite it as it's due for approval at the second board meeting of the year which is in December. We need a draft completed by November. Let me know if you have questions on it's purpose or if you don't understand!

LM: Will familiarise you with this in the training!

Cuth's Welfare Blog

LM: Has everyone read the agenda? Does everyone know what MP said? I quite like it, a cute way of engaging with welfare if you don't directly need it. Self help, uni care type types. Good forum for active discussions. Would be moderated by me, MP and KM, or a trustee or something. Thoughts?

NH: I'm concerned about it. Could be a lot of issues created by something like that. If something goes wrong with it, like if someone posts something, or something comes out that's supposed to be anonymous, could cause a lot of problems. Is there an alternative that we can maybe do? If it's about giving people a place to express themselves, then drop ins kind of do that.

LM: I remember Durham survivors page on instagram, can submit stories and stuff, so would be anonymous like that and there's a code so you can ask for it be removed.

NH: If something you post is identifiable and you don't think it is, I'm a bit concerned about this as might be able to guess what it is. Survivor guide is a bigger sample so less likely to guess who it is, whereas Cuth's is smaller.

LM: Won't submit if its obvious

KM: Need a proper proposal form MP, what's allowed what's not. Proper policies around it. It's an idea that might take a term to flesh out and be acceptable to Trustees. Could be a contradiction to our aims, but also some of the stuff is in line. appreciate the sentiment and like the idea and initiative but we need something more concrete.

LM: Giving each welfare officer one project to do for the term, so if she's willing to do it then she can.



KM: Could still not work out, would emphasise this to her.

NH: We could regulate what gets posted, but if someone sends something that reflects harm, we wouldn't know who it was. Our obligation in finding out who it is doesn't override this over anonymity.

KM: Lot of liabilities to be sorted out.

LM: Will get MP to do a detail proposal.

EM: Delay on posting, and then give it 24 hours to delete it if they regret it maybe?

NH: Single path of communication.

KM: Way it could be done right, just have to be cautious.

LM: Would be a huge project for MP, but will get her to do a full proposal.

AOB

KM: An anonymous messaging service, is that something people are keen for? not keen for?

LM: Keen for it

KM: Other colleges doing it recently, asked them to get back to me on platforms they use, engagement, cost, etc. Will bring it up at next meeting

LM: Welfare officer swaps, Stevo and Collingwood down, John's haven't responded, going to ask Aidans, if everyone's happy with those? Going to have two, DM will do a swap.

NH: consent workshops, signposting, can we be really clear on signposting, NUM as a good resource.

LM: Core focus on consent but making 5-10 minutes on how to have safe sex as well.

