



Welfare Committee Meeting - 04-02-2022

Attendance: JG (Senior Welfare Officer), LM (Male Welfare), AW (President), KM (Vice-President), CH (LGBTQ+ Rep), PA (Ethnic Minorities Rep), JN (Local Students' Rep), LJ (Trans and Non-Binary Rep), DB (SwD Rep), DM (WCS Rep)

Apologies: AC (Campaigns Manager), TA (Female Welfare),

Location: Zoom

Agenda:

Training

Supplies

Student Support Feedback

Improving outreach to livers out

Anonymous Q&A

Collingwood Welfare Swap

Good Night Out Campaign

SHAG Week

Student Support Advisory Group Meeting

AOB



Training

JG: Who was able to go to nightline training? If no one that is fine and I couldn't go to all of the SU one but who managed to go to at least some of it?

LJ and LM

JG: Of who did go, any questions or comments? JGr (SU Welfare and Liberation Officer) will post all the slides so will share. I've made lots of comments on the training doc, met all of the sexual misconduct team so anything from that is also all on the doc. CI (College Student Support) wants to have a meeting with those who will start running drop ins, just need a time. Wednesday mornings are normally good for her and shouldn't take too long. Who wants scheduled and who wants drop ins on request?

DM, DB, CH all prefer scheduled

AW: Scheduled ones make it easier to keep consistent

LJ: Spoke to CH and we have the main LGBTQ+ drop ins scheduled but I am happy to do drop ins on request

JG: Don't know if you know about getting more keys AW?

AW: I feel they should give us more keys for the room, if you ask CI to ask SC and it will be done straight away

JG: SC doesn't reply to me - I've been trying to get a shelf for sanitary supplies in the house 12 bathroom but no luck yet

AW: We could get something that suctions onto the mirrors?

JG is very excited about having a solution to the lack of shelf

PA: I would like scheduled but haven't done the trainings yet

JG: We will find a time to go over the training and once we have had the meeting with CI we can really get the ball rolling. We have a get in touch request form and will add you all to that, will maybe do a separate form actually

CH: I haven't had anyone come to mine and I don't think it is necessary to do them weekly. If we are having everyone doing them I think it would make sense to have two scheduled blocks and we alternate between two reps every other week

AW: At other colleges they advertise it will be a certain minority rep at the time of the drop in but not beforehand but it would just be in a normal welfare slot - that makes it more of a welfare drop in and I'm not sure we are there yet

JG: The alternating idea is one I want to follow through with but maybe when all the training is the same that is something we could consider

CH: At other colleges they advertise it as a chat rather than drop in if you haven't had nightline training and that distinction is useful



DM: Think it will be better and more approachable as a chat like to talk about anything and ask questions like the takeovers

JG: Drop ins scare people as make it seem more serious and think their issues aren't serious enough but they can just be about anything even just asking for a pregnancy test

Supplies

JG: We want to get better sexual health supplies and we haven't had a huge amount of expenditure yet but we have realised the pregnancy tests can give false positives. I want opinions - we are thinking clear blue but it is significantly more expensive. It will be worth the extra money to reduce the stress though

AW: Is there a middle ground for prices?

JG: First response are cheaper but not a huge difference. We haven't spent a huge amount yet but the cheaper you go the less reliable. On the condom options what are people's thoughts?

AW: Have you been giving out the super safe ones? Is that the standard?

JG: Yeah, it has been what we usually go for. Have done some research into what we can get. I bought £100 worth of condoms which was 360 and we have a few left. A lot go in the freshers welfare packs but if we get those for freshers pack but then actual sexual health supplies we get better ones - what do people think?

DM: I thought it should be the other way round as surely the freshers will be having sex like mad

AW: There are statistics that show there are people are having less sex in freshers week than outside of it and more university students are having less sex than ever before

JG: What do people think about switching to durex?

KM: Not the extra safe please

AW: Pretty sure the failure rate isn't that different with extra safe. Very in favour of the lube ones

KM: People don't use the lube packets so the lube ones are a good idea

AW: The durex thin feel extra lube are 40 for £22.99

JG: I'm thinking we get a range and we could have on the form all the different ones you can get

AW: Would that put people off? If you are nervous about sex and then you need to make a choice between thin feel and extra lube you might just not

JG: I think we would have to put out the choices we have if we do have them - but how many and do we want to get different sizes?



AW: Other colleges say that if they offer XL then the regular do not get taken. The condoms in the JCR did go so I thought it would be good if where the pigeons hole are we could have a sexual health supplies table with nice posters. You don't have to do all the different options on the form but in the JCR you can put the different options there?

DM: Latex-free is a good idea but probably only on the form so then those that need them can get them

JG: For the form we will do latex free, thin feel extra lube, original and extra safe. We also got new dental dams recently

LM: Flavoured condoms - what are people's thoughts?

KM: I don't think they are something people are screaming out for welfare to provide

AW: It could almost be a promo strat - come to the JCR, get flavoured condoms and pounce on them with a leaflet!

JG: We can get some for promo purposes for sure

CH: We could get like explanation guides like how to use some of the supplies especially with the dental dams

JG: I want to have a doc with all the 'how to use' and 'what for'. We can post it on the linktree and an insta highlight. Also wanted to talk about welfare room supplies - I would like us to buy things like fidget spinners

DB: Can we make it prettier?

JG: I have been wanting to do that but have yet to get around to it - will make it a project towards the end of term

AW: It has those brooks chairs right? Aidan's welfare room has a big arm chair and if we could have one like that it would be so ideal

JG: It is not the best space and other colleges do have nicer welfare rooms but a sofa or something would really improve it

AW: Will be dropping a lot of money on furniture this term so there will be lots of stuff up for grabs

JG: Been thinking of period care packages and have a whole spreadsheet about it and what we will include: pads, tampons pukka womankind tea, chocolate truffles and little soaps

DB: We could probably get a different tea as not everyone who menstruates is a woman and that could put people off

KM: Pukka do so many nice teas that are in a similar vein of relaxation and things, there are options

LJ: American FDA clarified honey as raw meat

JG: With sanitary supplies, is there more we could be doing?



LM: Males bathroom potentially?

AW: I would not put them in cuth's bar mens as it is well intentioned but people are pricks

DM: A lot of people who menstruate get the implant before freshers week but there is not a huge amount of info on that and I think information on that would be good

JG: Yeah that will be part of SHAG week as well as information on the coil but I think another doc on the linktree or an insta highlight with information on it would be good. On brooks, is it portacabin toilets as want to put sanctuary supplies in all bathrooms at brooks?

AW: Yes for now. You could set up a condom corner in brooks bar

LJ: Brooks bar would also be a good place for info posters as everyone has to walk through

DM: Back side of the door as everyone has to look at it

Student Support Feedback

JG: I want to know what people think about the student support available to them - we have done surveys in the past

KM: How have they been done?

JG: Posted on facebook and always at the end of year

KM: Doing it now halfway through is more beneficial as it leaves time for things to change. We can just publicise it really well and maybe even do a few polls on instagram asking questions and then at the end be like fill in the survey if you have more to say? To get more people to do it though you could so a chance to win a voucher like govcomm did with elections last year

AW: Love honey voucher is such a good idea!!!

JG: Thank you. I think that will work though so we can do a chance for a lovehoney honey voucher for participating

AW: You can ask more specific questions about specific elements of welfare as we aren't looking to compare year through year with this, you will get more useful answers

JG: Want to put it out soon and will organise the voucher

Improving outreach to livers out

JG: TA does online drop ins every single week, what do we think about drop ins in other locations like at the TLC?

CH: I am in favour of this as I know people have wanted to go to somewhere other than refounders as you lose all anonymity



JG: I was thinking TLC but can't obviously do it as a scheduled one but will try do it where I can book a room

Anonymous Q&A

AW: Some colleges have a live chat, they say it gets a lot of use but it is a bit invasive for the welfare officers and there is something about the drop ins being a set time. I don't think it would get enough use to cause issues though

JG: It would be like nightline where it is only open for a certain time and you set yourself as away when you aren't in your drop ins. Will look into the service used

KM: Would it not have to be advertised as different to your drop in hours in case someone walked in while you were on chat?

JG: Will operate it on the same closed door basis as when someone is in an in-person drop in you shut the door so no one else comes in

AW: I think just give it a go and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. The anonymity is why it does get used. I was wondering if there was a way if you could do it when its not live but then you would need email to get back to people if it was just like a question on a google form - you could do it some way but I'm not smart enough with email

DB: I will get in touch with CR and ask if he knows any way we could go about this

JG: It depends on the nature of how it is advertised as whether a live chat or just an anonymous question you get a single reply to - will look into what system they use at other colleges

Collingwood Welfare Swap

JG: So we are doing it with Collingwood

LM: Not grey? They sent and unsent a message

AW: Collingwood and Grey normally do it

JG: We will do it with two hours covered by them and then we'll cover two for them. I'll do two hours at collingwood next week and they will cover refounders. They are also covering feast

Good Night Out Campaign



JG: Been talking to CI about it and it is £1100 to train bar staff, I am trying to see if college would pay for it

LM: Would bar staff be paid for this training?

AW: If you get bar staff in they have to be paid. It is quite a high cost and the turnover in a normal year is about a third so if you did it every two years it would be about $\frac{2}{3}$ of bar staff trained at all times

LM: What is this training?

JG: It is speciality training for staff so that they can better understand, respond to, and prevent sexual harassment and assault in that space

LM: Could welfare officers not do it?

JG: I don't think so, I don't feel qualified to do it but it is a really good campaign and it is used widely. For the original quote I said 49 people, and for one training session it is £800, then £300 for one after

AW: We could split it with another college - maybe Hatfield? If we did four sessions between us it would reduce the cost by a couple hundred quid

JG: It is an official accreditation as well which is motivation to do it

AW: I don't see the uni paying for things like this as they hate how much the bars cost so much. The SU won't even though it would be such a good move for them

KM: I am not sure if it is worth getting other senior welfare to lobby the SU to do or or if you'd be wasting your time

AW: Get in contact with good night out campaign, make zero promises but say we want it campus wide for every college and get a quote

KM: Worth talking to JGr (SU Welfare and Liberation Officer) and JB (SU Opportunities Officer) to ask if they would be on board

JG: Is it worth talking to other senior welfare officers?

AW: Just JGr and JB would be worth it, I was talking to JB the other day about how he wants more training across all colleges so he should be keen

JG: Should I contact them or you?

AW: If you get the quote then we can do it together

Student Support Advisory Group Meeting



JG: Have a meeting on the ninth so any queries raise them

DB: There is a massive issue that the DSM process means that if you miss seminars the support doesn't get in touch and then you fall behind; a fresher came to me because he missed everything and then got a threatening email. We sent an email to the head of disability support at the university to try to review this and maybe do an opt in opt out thing but she gave a shit response which just said thank you for this and I will add this to the review. So if you could raise that

JG: Will definitely raise that and will keep you updated

DM: On the Durham grant, when it came round the first time round the email first time was nice but all you got was a massive invoice this term which was not explained and was very confusing. People thought they even owed money. It was just very unfriendly so it seemed like they could have just sent a short email of explanation

AW: Not surprising they didn't put any effort into it as there are so many issues with the Durham grant anyway. Most likely because they don't have the staff and normally miss the deadline so send whatever out. Just email them back and be like bit rude

JG: Anything else?

AW: Heard on the grapevine that they want to cut student support in college or put more emphasis on departmental level student support - is this true?

JG: They don't want to cut the college student support but not every department has a student support person so they want that in every single department. Then people can go to their department directly or college and then change the whole system for reporting things

AW: They tried this idea in Geography and apparently it is a success but am yet to speak to anyone who thought it worked

LM: When it comes to grace period a lot STEM students just get told to take a year out so would be good to raise that

DB: They take you a lot more seriously if you have a contact in college and without that contact others have been screwed

AW: I have concerns about it, people who work in research are weird and

JG: They just want it as another option

AW: But then they restrict themselves in that they can't expand college level student support

KM: If it were done by faculty, not department, it would be more effective because one person per department when departments hugely vary in sizes does not work? Done by faculty not department as that still leaves scope for the expansion of college level support

JG: I think it actually is by faculty, not department

AW: That is not such a bad call then



SHAG Week

JG: If anyone has any questions, concerns about shag week following the campaigns meeting. We are doing a sort of funfair event with a lot of games and things

LJ: We could do stuff with 'what to do if X happens' and then what to do as it can spread info and de-stigmatise the issue itself

CH: About posters, more posters up and around would be good like back on the toilet doors and all sorts of things advertising the gender expression fund etc