



Facilities Committee Meeting – 12.10.2021

Attendance: TB (Facilities Manager), IC (FCO), KM (VP)

Apologies: AW (President)

Absent: JR (Green Machine Manager)

Location: Conference room

Gyms (TB)

TB: The main change is we don't have a permanent marshall, just have to do three checks a day

IC: In college management they said they will do one check a day so we only have two and Jon wants a marshall at refounders

TB: For the bailey I was thinking the librarians could maybe do it and sign off when they check. For users too they have to tick off they have an lft as its an honesty policy with spot checks. It will be properly cleaned by college but I want to make it clear to users they are responsible for cleaning after use. Capacity is 6 per gym with windows open; whoever is doing the checks they will get a list of the jobs on the risk assessment to make sure they are ticked off. The main challenge is who is doing these checks and the bigger issue being refounders and no one around there to check

IC: Would it be on the on duty librarian?

TB: Yes and I do need to check with Zoe, we could also pay them a small amount as compensation -- dont know if it is our money or the college or uni covid fund. £5 per check?

IC: I think it should be uni money

TB: Is it something we can pay for as a JCR in the interim?

IC: We could look into it but we aren't in the business of normally doing that

TB: I do want them open ASAP. The bailey gym has a lot of weight on the racks that I can't lift off and I want it to be clear when they are open that we have a policy of properly putting away anything used. For inductions last year MF did a video intro that was approved by team durham for the health and safety section. I want it to be in person, show them the cleaning stuff, get them to the gym and tell them about LFTs, then show MFs video and maybe a honour code contract sort of thing. With the booking systems skedda is being very annoying. For the free version I can only get four bookings per gym - you have to pay for every bit you use and we can't just add another room on without it being very expensive. As people have to go in pairs they could book two slots at a time.

IC: I can look into paying for skedda



TB: This week will be sorting out procedures, two inductions next week and then a third one later for those who forget.

IC: With the librarians doing it, we have to ask Zoe. Getting the uni to pay them; they'd have to do a new starter form which is a logistical nightmare. The uni does pay the stock managers though and they could maybe do it?

TB: If they were in regularly that would work well. If we offered someone £10 to do two checks a day that would be ideal

IC: We could look at bar staff and that is how we done it before and they are already on the uni payroll

TB: If they did the third check of the day and the college did the morning/afternoon one, then it's just a one a day check which would work very well if it's a bar staff member. If ops come back and say they won't pay then that is more of an issue

KM: Let's make AW do one check a day - he can do it on his way to lunch and if he is really fussed about doing 10 minutes of checks on a weekend tell him to clock off 10 minutes earlier on a friday

IC: Yes. Lets email Zoe, I will raise the question of bar staff with Jon and Sue and well talk to Alfie about doing one check a day

TB: We can also get the porters to lock it at the beginning and end of the day. They initially had a huge issue with it being unlocked in the day but don't believe that is still an issue. Also there was the suggestion that if you want to be on the list of who can use the gym we could have a quota of how many checks you have to do a term but I want to avoid that as much as possible; it's hard to police and will deter people. For inductions, could do some inductions this week; don't need the checks in place for the inductions and then let them know when the checks are in place they can use the gyms straight away

IC: For advertising we could do one this week and one next week as not a huge amount of people turned up to the music one. I can do the next music room induction. I'll look into skedda

TB: I'll do the gym inductions. With skedda before it was only one person at a time so it was no issue but we now need six slots per gym. I'll email Zoe

Music Room (IC)

IC: From the inductions, not a huge amount filled out the form with the vast majority of first years - the filling out the form wasn't clear enough I don't think. I'll do another induction this weekend

TB: We can push the google form



IC: The CIS turnaround was same day which was excellent but with thrid years I dont think they'll come back for an induction for a room they've been using the last two years

TB: We can push the google form. With skedda, someone tried to book a lot of hours so I don't know whether to set a limit on the number of hours a week - last year there were issues with people getting slots. It's set so you can only book a week in advance

IC: I would say 8 hours a week and 2 hours a day as people could dbe booking to practice in bands and individually so I can see how they would use a lot of hours. The issue with last year was the opening hours being so short

TB: The issue with the music room is the noise level for those living in fonteyn, with someone playing drums at 8am or 9pm we will get a lot of complaints

IC: We can trial it and change if we do get a lot of complaints. It is more of a college issue for them to soundproof the room properly

Tech (IC)

IC: We have a few funds for tech and we could spend reserves on this, if we have a body of tech it would be convenient to have on the bailey to use for hires and events. It solves the issue of us having to move stuff and things get lost in that process. A lot of events happen on the bailey and leaving the music room empty is a huge issue

TB: I agree the kit in the music room should be for that room, we shouldn't be driving it back and forth with maybe the exception of cuths day

IC: In terms of storage we were thinking of the exec office: it is not workable as an office - we can come onto this with the review - but the idea is we would move things around in the exec office: use it for archives and documentation, and then this equipment. We can then get it set up on the durham uni tech site

TB: In terms of getting it and what we need do you have an idea of what?

IC: I am looking at what other JCRs do for hires and it tends to be a basic set up for a rock band. In terms of money for it we have Greg Kyle Langley and he was keen when I spoke to him last year. Hires currently don't make a lot of money, if we offer these out to cuths students and advertise it as more opportunities based it will get more uptake

TB: I agree I think this will make things a lot more accessible and it's too inter-jcr-y at the minute

IC: I also want to look if we can direct the hires money back into facilities rather than reserves

TB: A silent disco generates a lot of money for the JCR but the money for a hire is so insignificant and even if was a 50/50 split it would provide more incentive for the facilities manager



IC: We already have people who are starting to run their own events and people are keen to use our stuff. It fits with our charitable aims to provide opportunities and then no one will complain about music room being empty

Facilities Restructure (IC)

IC: I think it would be good to have a fully fledged tech team, the tech for all our big events are all outsourced. In 2019 Michaelmas production cost £3048 and Feast was £1726 - some of that was props and lighting but a huge amount was just paying someone to be there which is money down the drain. If we invest in tech stock then those are assets. If we create a tech team we then have a tech team we can pay for an events

TB: I've said before that the officers should be fully trained and paid and use them for balls and potentially gigs with other colleges

IC: Also helps with our small events

TB: I think that is definitely something that makes sense

IC: We would make a tech chair with committee members, potentially specialised roles, and then tech chair would be on facilities comm and answering to facilities manager

TB: So they are a separate entity?

IC: They sit on your committee and they do get paid

TB: How does getting paid work?

IC: I love compliance but don't know how it works with that yet. We could get their training paid for properly, they would have to do some volunteering hours too maybe stock checks or hires on the day

TB: I guess marketing it as you will earn some money but it's also an opportunity for experience in that field and that is hard experience to get

IC: I think Method III would be suitable for the tech chair as we want someone with the capability to do the role not public speaking

TB: Yeah it does need to be skilled based and they need to show they want to do it

IC: The rest of the committee I'm not sure, will look at how others do it but I'm thinking also Method III

TB: I think that's the direction we need to go with facilities

IC: What would you want to happen with the green machine manager?

TB: It does make green machine and hires obsolete

IC: We could give them an assistant tech chair?



KM: We do want continuity on a new committee so it doesn't fall apart one year in. Ideally I think you want someone in the assistant position who is keen for chair for the following year

TB: There is a mini facilities restructure coming in the next meeting with an assistant facilities manager but I think this could be compatible so combining the two motions would make sense

IC: This is very opportunity and skills based but with assistant facilities manager it is more vague and hires are thankless

TB: They are pretty shit. We could combine these motions because no one cares to hear about facilities meeting after meeting. When would you want to make this a thing? It makes more sense to have the first thing the tech team do as an internal event like Feast.

IC: Will probably still outsource staging but sounds and rigging could work

TB: Are we training just the chair or the entire committee?

IC: At the moment just the chair as not entirely sure what the committee looks like yet

TB: Facilities are not currently capable of putting on events on their own and it does need to change. Are we getting rid of green machine managers and technicians?

IC: Yep

TB: Tech chair just sounds better but some might argue it could be Method I. If we get them elected soon we could start using them for hires