



# Executive Committee Meeting - 20-10-2021

Attendance: AW (President), IC (FCO), KM (VP), EW (Social Chair), JS (PG&M), JG (Senior Welfare), JW (Sports & Socs), LH (PR Officer), TB (Facilities), CL (Outreach Chair), DB (Communities Chair)

Apologies: ZH (Librarian), EM (JCR Chair)

Absent:

Location: Study Room

Agenda:

Exec Updates

How to help each other out

Formals

Facilities Working Group

Michaelmas Ball

Movember

AOB

\*Minutes Pass\*

JW late

JS late

LH late

AW does not tolerate lateness.



CL makes a spoon out of tinfoil to eat their lebaneat, we applaud the creativity

## Updates

KM: First stash order of the year is up with a new, more sustainable company Redbird, also got the moette order up to get some more niche stash items. Been helping with all the interviews to get the committees set up and then going to meetings, minutes and uploading minutes. Lots of other things and having so much fun

JG: Started campaigns team interviews, talking about campaigns for the year, and doing drop ins. Addressed the increase in spiking on the social media and in correspondence, also talking to durham student wellbeing about their campaign

DB: Trying to organise a meeting which isn't going well, trying to organise sports and socs training, and CH wants a pride formal

LH: Newsletter, webmaster application is open

JW: Been doing admin for team durham, updating the website more as well. Sports and soc welcome talk is next week and thinking about the naked calendar now

AW: I want to do an exec one

JW: Next week?

CL: I'll have a look into which charity

JW: I want to approach societies individually as there are always some who do it and often ends up being all the men's teams

AW: Do both, post on the page to give the facade but target some individually, it will be good to have others who don't do it normally. Read my weekly emails to find out what I've been doing, been fighting with JW over Oktoberfest. EW has done a lot for Michaelmas, endless meetings, went to college advisory board - need two more on it and will probably end up being one of you

IC: Been doing reclaims for sports and socs, getting treasurer training set up. Ran the music room inductions, various other things

JS: Been in the same meetings as AW for the uni, don't know anything assembly still, electing chair for MCR Pres comm

TB: Bailey gym is ready to go. Lost my keys but got them back now. Then been doing facilities working group

AW: Can't open the bailey gym yet actually, have to check the risk assessment again because the uni changed their guidelines

EW: Been sorting out Oktoberfest, got a committee and then lots and lots of Michaelmas planning



CL: Got a committee, been setting up framda with DBS checks and risk assessments, then starting the rugby project and starting admin for 12 days of outreach early

### How to help each other out (IC)

IC: I want to make all your roles easier and better, how can we make your jobs better - with funding or training?

DB: Communities committee needs a bigger budget, we don't necessarily have to motion a budget increase, do you have an update for us?

AW: Currently the budget is £150 for the whole committee, international comm have a separate one. CH didn't give me a number for what was wanted

DB: More!

AW: What do you think is a good number

DB: I don't think we are sure a communal budget works, could we give each rep a budget so it is fairly split?

AW: I think the idea was that the committee would be collaborating

DB: I was talking to someone about this and there won't be someone who represents everyone and that can be a bit off putting. I think we should rearrange distribution but will talk to them about how much we want

IC: Talk to them more about any funds too, we can set any up if you guys want any new ones like the gender expression fund

AW: Shall we do a vote for communities committee to go to finance comm and request up to £500, £125 per rep as international rep has separate one

\*Exec approves\*

KM: Me and EW want tankards

EW: I think getting us tankards reflects that the work we do is valued and commemorated in some way, and it keeps tradition. JG should get one too

CL: CL should get one

AW: We are looking at a minimum of £40 each

KM: Someone bought them before for your ones so I don't see why it's something we are now not willing to buy

AW: JW wants to give the ones in the bar back to whoever owns them. Only two exec members have one. It would be around £500 to get all of them then a £8 rolling cost per tankard each year. Will need it to be in a motion. I want to get ones for fresher of the year, unsung hero, and outstanding contribution and any other JCR awards



TB: A tankard is better than a piece of paper

AW: Idea is that the oldest person in the bar with that position gets to use the tankards

KM: I'll write the motion

AW: What do we think about the rolling cost?

JG: The names engraved is nice

AW: Only £8, not a huge ask, might raise the question of sports and socs wanting to use their budgets for tankards

DB: Just say no

AW: Could make us unpopular

KM: Have you ever cared about being popular?

AW has never cared about being popular before

JG: Getting involved with each others events would be good

TB: Collaborating with sports teams for events and campaigns would make things easier

JW: Team cuths is dying, LH please help me

TB: Could we change a sports and socs reporter to manage the team cuths instagram

DB: Please show up to the BSL taster, we want to hold it in Cuth's

CL: Spoke with IC briefly, we could have a music taster session for people who want to learn an instrument as it is a privilege thing to learn an instrument

AW: I wanted to set up a peer tutoring session, I would love to teach someone saxophone

TB: Could look into setting up a beginners soc or band

CL: I am talking people who can't read music at all, its so expensive just for one lesson

AW: I could see how JamSoc would be a good society to take on the scheme. We could use reserves to buy instruments

CL: I think we should do it where you have to not have done a grade in that instrument. Could just do a couple weeks taster - all my homies hate the clarinet

AW: Participation fund could be expanded to reduce the cost of things like lessons and courses, maybe like a development fund

IC: You can do training on the participation fund but it has to have relevance to the uni or Cuth's currently

CL: We could combine with another college if there isn't enough people in Cuth's

TB: We could pay, it's an inclusivity thing so it would be a good thing to spend on



DB: You could do a concert for charity with like a music mismatch

AW: That is what I wanted to do with the peer support scheme!

## Formals (AW)

AW: There are no formals. Other colleges are doing fake dinners and formals but they care a lot about formals. Trevs have a terrible idea of going to the Radisson Blu which is far too much money for what it is. We are not doing anything right now, JW wanted us to do more events and now he is kicking off about the events we are doing. How do we feel about not doing formals or any type of replacement? I'm not pursuing the idea of them happening, I don't care that much, is everyone ok with that?

JS: When do you think the staff issue will be resolved?

AW: I think in November, I am optimistic for the Christmas formals. When they are back, it will be shared staff across colleges so maybe one formal each a month

EW: Formals manager is not that keen to do anything

DB: When is the pride formal

JS: Second term

AW: Apparently they have put the classics into the calendar, I don't know if the pride formal made the cut

LH: The first pride formal got cancelled because of covid so there hasn't ever been one

AW: There is one formal in March they want us to come up with the theme for. If they don't budge on giving us a pride formal then we can do that then. Does anyone have ideas for themes? EMe wanted to have a thanksgiving formal. We (IC and AW of course) wanted to do a musician formals

Big sigh from CL and eye rolls from everyone, complaints about Big Band taking over the JCR and just general disdain for AW

AW: Can I finish?

KM: No

JG: I would like to tie one into a welfare campaign like SHAG week

CL: I would like to do one to do with 12 days of Outreach if possible

AW: To fix the fact they are £12 I've said profit on wine should go back around into discounting the tickets

JS: Could do a formal through history with food from different time periods



AW: Ooo a medieval formal

### Facilities Working Group (TB, EM, IC)

TB: We met last week to establish a roadmap, the first point was the straw poll. Will put polls on the JCR social media. IC went to look at how to run a focus group properly and we want to do that in a week or so. Then we will give feedback to the exec before the next JCR meeting. We will take whatever proposal in 1.3 and then sort things out over Christmas

IC: If your role or committee needs storage or space let us know

TB: Let us know what storage you need and any access issues with that, what do you need?

KM: Stash storage - the exec office is really not suitable in its current state for the remaining stash that is in there let alone all of the new stash order

AW: Who will be at the focus groups?

TB: We want a whole range of years, communities, a diverse range

AW: Any sports or socs execs? Obviously having normal students is important but I think they would have productive opinions in regards to their needs

TB: Everyone email, cc in everyone like me, IC, and EM just with whatever you need or want

CL: I do think we need a green space. JW shut down gardening soc

TB: A JCR garden would be really nice

KM: What are you doing if you don't get a diverse range of people at the focus groups?

TB: Will ask the minority reps, then run everything by the exec and then bringing them all to the JCR meetings

### Michaelmas Ball (AW)

AW: It is happening, It will be large. DB this is not for you. Exec, if you help out you are entitled to a third off and a guaranteed ticket. Need to know by tomorrow if you want one. It's the 16th of November! There is going to be a minimal clean up. Let me know! Expectation is that you will be there on the day from 12pm - block out your day

### November (AW)

AW: What it doooooo. It is fast approaching. JG has a lot of ideas. I think it runs itself in many ways but it is something to get sports and socs involved with. I think we need a main page of Cuth's JCR and then have team members as the sports and socs - they can do their



own page but it would create some competition and raise a lot of money. We can do a pub quiz, college have booked a speaker

JG: The speaker is really good, college are sorting out the logistics. There will be a drinks reception. Welfare campaigns will be creating content once we have a committee

KM: We just need to repost a lot of the events and lets do progress pics of the moustaches

TB: Running are doing a 10k and I know lots of others are doing events. Talk about it at the sports and socs welcome talk JW

JG: If you could all get involved with contributing to the movember video that we are wanting to do that would be great

AW: Any events, co-host with the outreach page to get bigger reach

## AOB

CL: Wanted to run this by everyone, I want everyone to celebrate the end of term with maybe a winter freshtival type of event: mulled wine, popcorn etc maybe some bands too, some christmas music but a ticketed event

AW: Is this 12 days of outreach?

CL: Depends

TB: Capacity is not huge, you might get 300ish and we wouldn't be able to use dining hall till after evening meal

KM: I love mulled wine, yes to this idea. Could do a silent disco in the dining hall with all the classic christmas tunes

AW: A very feasible idea, yes. As a note for the term, college are being aggy with events. We have to apparently submit forms 3 weeks before the event if it requires ticketing

CL: How much was freshtival?

AW: Bare money

IC: We could get bands if they were willing to do it for fundraising purposes, Big Band could make this their fundraising gig

AW: We need another exec social. I am not a very fun person

KM: Always said that, do a poll pls I am busy

AW: We will have another meeting around 1st, 2nd, 3rd roughly

KM: The JCR meeting is the same day and time as a lions fundraising match so we should change the JCR meeting

JS: If you aren't on the PG page please let me know and I will add you