



Communities Committee Meeting - 23-10-2021

Attendance: DB (Communities Chair), CH (LGBTQ+ Rep), JN (Local Students' Rep), EMe (International Rep), AW (President), KM (VP)

Apologies: PA (EM Rep), LJ (Trans and NB Rep), MA (Assistant LGBTQ+ Rep), ES (Assistant Int. Rep)

Absent: JR (Assistant EM Rep)

Location: Conference Room

Agenda:

Updates

Sports and Socs Welcome Talk

Budgets

Establishing funds

AOB

Minutes Pass



JN is using the office bitch library mug and would like to be referred to as such for the duration of the meeting

Updates

JN: Doing an event on friday hopefully please come, follow the new insta, going to go to cuths, johns, chads, hatfield. Maybe I will go to castle

EMe: Got my committee, quite quiet now but I think it is a strong team. Want to so a few events this term, maybe a few pub quizzes and collaborating with the ISA for a big halloween event hopefully

CH: Had a well attended bar crawl and then I think it helped get the elections well contested. Not sure with Oktoberfest if we'll do a games night or film night on tuesday but I think an LGBTQ+ safe evening will be good for the durham night in

DB: Been doing some case by case work with people, need to talk to JG about nightline training and planning to do an event in the next few weeks. On the 10th we have organised a BSL taster session. The issue is that it's a 20 person capacity, I would like to do a more formal session for the exec - 3pm on the 10th. Will do a google form to determine capacity. AW will try to get a pride formal, college aren't letting us pick themes but we need to check if college already have it down in their calendar. In regards to facilities review, does anyone need any specific space for anything? We could do drop ins the welfare room but we could ask for a study room key

CH: Maybe rename the study room too as it's nto used for studying

EMe: It is a nice room for meetings and events if we need them

DB: We could make that room really nice with decorations

EMe: It would be nice to update the boards on the way to the dining hall so peopl eknow who we are too

DB: We could also do a communities committee naked calendar photo if anyone is keen. We could ask to be consulted on what chairty the proceeds go towards. Also tag the cuthsjer insta on any posts and then it can be easily reposted. With facilities they are holding focus groups and we could be invited to have our say

Sports and Socs Welcome Talk

DB: I think ideally you would have more than just two memebers attend. As AW said we don't have the time now to make any major changes but does anyone have any urgent issues with the charter? Does anyone want to talk?

CH: I am happy for AW to talk, I have points I want to be made but happy for AW to do them

DB: I think there should be a section where we are identified. If there is a powerpoint slide we could have a slide to introduce us



CH: An email to the sports and socs exec with our names and contact would be good. There is a difference between being inclusive and then actually changing the language you use to be inclusive and gender neutral - it should be the norm. With sports based on gender they just need to be careful

DB: I would like to mention that there are people with disabilities that would need to change the way the sports and socs are ran - I think we should encourage them to ask if anyone has any needs and adjustments that can make the sport or society more accessible to them. It can easily be done through an anonymous form. I know we are thinking heavily on sports here - anything for socs?

CH: Reducing the drinking culture I guess is just as relevant with socs

EMe: It's about reducing the pressure to drink especially with initiations

JN: Also with the dress ups we should make a point

CH: We have to look at the implication of cross dressing socials, its the issues of them using slurs while doing it too

DB: We could shock them with examples that have happened

CH: Let them know that if they aren't sure they can ask us

DB: We'll have AW deliver it but we want to be pointed out at the talk. Does anyone have thoughts on the equality charter. I think we can change things for next time like some of the language is non-committal

CH: It sounds wishy washy, there is no real consequence

JN: It is metaphysical

CH: 3.3.3 is also the incorrect name

DB: A lot of the problems I have are to do with phrasing. Could we integrate an explicit mention to the code of the behaviour in the charter itself - there should be an emphasis that there are consequences

KM: AW loves to whip put the threat of discipline so they can mention that if we can't change the charter for Wednesday

DB: For now, the change of name in 3.3.3 and the mention of consequences, we can change the charter later to be more concrete

Budgets

DB: So in the exec meeting we spoke about and agreed that we can apply for an increase in the committee budget of up to £500

JN is ecstatic

DB: We could then split it between the reps and maybe get £130 each?



CH: I was not expecting LGBTQ+ soc to be as popular, we have consistently had a turnout of 20-30 at every events. We could start with having the same amount and maybe also have a shared pot of money that people can ask to dip in to when needed?

DB: How much would we want to formally have each by default? If we took £75 each and then that would leave £275 as a reserve. We will go to IC and ask for the max £500

Establishing funds

DB: We have the gender expression fund so does anyone have any funds they want to start? Once you are an adult you have to pay a fuck ton of money for SEND issues

JN: I need to look at a travel fund, there is apparently a bursary somewhere for livers out but there isn't really any information on that anywhere

AOB

EMe: Do we want to do a combined event at some point as a whole committee?

DB: I think it is worth giving it a go. We could do something towards Christmas time

CH: We could do a film screenings with their focus being on different issues

DB: If film soc gets set up then it could be a collab which will increase engagement too

KM: Not really an event but an idea for a campaign method would be podcasts, I think its a different way to engage with people

DB: I love a podcast, I would like to also make transcripts for all of them. If anyone is putting out any video content let me know and I can do captions - I have a software subscription

CH: With instagrams are we doing alternative text post descriptions?

DB: There is an instagram one that is automatically done - this would be a good point to make to the sports and socs actually. The way people do it with their own description in the captions isn't actually that beneficial for accessibility

CH: I don't really like the name communities committee, no other college but Hatfield call it communities committee. I was thinking about changing it

JN: It isn't really clear what the committee does from the name

CH: I feel like our aim is to increase the equality, inclusivity and diversity through the Society and it isn't clear what we do from communities as it is working with the local community or what?

DB: Unity, inclusivity and equality are ideas we are looking for - we'll put it out in the chat and then our individual instas to get an opinion



DB: Next meeting in about two weeks?

CH: Lets do it over brunch!